Tech Tip : Brake Fluid

Well before I start my day, just thought of reminding you folks about the most neglected item as in your vehicle, and that's your brake fluid. My wife, Gina, told me about having to apply a lot of pressure to get the brakes to function. I opened the hood and sure as Hell, the brake fluid was black as the ace spades.

So I got out my pump brake bleeder, opened up the right rear caliper bleeder screw apply and started to apply vacuum. To my surprise, I had to apply 25psi to start the flushing and the crap that came out wasn't pretty! Anyway, continued for ten minutes and it pressure needed dropped to 5psi but still black. After topping off the master cylinder 3 times while flushing it started to clear up and no pressure was needed to apply the brakes. Yes ,it's my fault but I corrected the problem and Gina's happy.

So if you check your brake fluid and it's black, go to the local parts house and spend the $35 for the vacuum bleeder kit and service your ride, sure as Hell will save you some dough as in having a shop replace your wheel cylinders or calipers. Ahh Wheel cylinders, $20 apiece and calipers, $95-$150 a pop, plus shop labor $45-$60 an hour kinda adds up over 20 minutes of DYS maintenance and another 200,000 miles of service outa your braking system....................

Comments

Popular Posts